Barrowmaze – Session 6

I haven’t used this blog for anything useful in a very, very long time (arguably ever), so I might as well use it to store my session recaps for the lunchtime D&D game I’m running at work. I’m using The Black Hack with Labyrinth Lord along with The Race Hack and Additional Things to run Greg Gillespie’s Barrowmaze Complete. I’m doing something like open table, since not everybody can show up every week.

This week’s game was shortened with a new player and meetings butting up against our scheduled time, but we were still able to make a good bit of progress.

Adventuring Party:
Kärl – Level 1 ShieldBreaker Dwarf
Wollus – Level 1 Sensitive Conjurer
Ulrich von Lichtenberger – Level 1 Elementalist Cleric of <TBD>
Nine-Toe Jimmy – Level 1 Dungeoneer Thief
Grancis – Human Torchbearer
Inghas – Human Man-at-Arms
Balde – Human Man-at-Arms
Geoffrey – Human Man-at-Arms

Several more days of rest and recuperation gave the party time to do some much-needed shopping. Kärl finally remembered to pick up the excavating tools he’d been planning on buying, and Jimmy tried to get his magic dagger identified. The only wizard in town, Mazzahs the Magnificent, continued his trend of ignoring any visitors, instead letting his animated projected head inform Jimmy that he was not to be disturbed. He left a note next to his door in chalk that he had a magic item to sell, and went to find another way to identify the weapon. Throwing the dagger at some targets revealed that it was much more accurate than he was used to, revealing it as a Dagger +1. During this time, another Elementalist Cleric had made his way to Nexus, and Ulrich von Lichtenberger joined the party.

Bearing their new excavation equipment, the party made the trip out to the Barrowmounds once again, this time opting to dig out one of the covered mounds they had left alone before. As they started planning their excavation, they realized that they only brought enough equipment for two people to dig at a time. This left the Dwarf and the Thief to dig, while the torchbearers, men-at-arms, and remaining party members “kept watch”, which mostly involved lounging around and keeping the local bugs at bay. This didn’t last long, however, as a band of giant toads approached the party from the foggy marsh. The surviving members of the previous encounter urged the group to flee, and flee they did to one of the tombs they’d previously cleared out. They triggered the mechanism on the door, entered, and sealed it behind them. After waiting a few minutes, they peeked out and found that the toads had moved on. They went back to digging, and a few hours later, the toads showed up again, and the party fled back to the crypt. Several more hours of digging attracted two skeletons from the marsh, but they were quickly dispatched.

Six hours after they arrived at the Barrowmounds, Inghas noticed an insectoid chitter coming from the mist, and moments later, two giant scorpions, each six feet long and covered in chitinous armor, began rapidly approaching the party. Jimmy fired a round at the beasts, only to see it bounce off harmlessly. Realizing that they were likely outmatched, the party fled to the tomb once again, but the scorpions followed. They sealed the door behind them, leaving them trapped in the crypt, the sound of claws on stone echoing though the chamber.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *